The Old Crown Pub Weybridge Surrey
The Old Crown has been in the same family since 1959, spanning 3 generations. The current landlords Mark & Yvonne Redknap welcome you. The Redknap family’s tradition as publican’s spans 4 generations and goes back to 1921 when Mark’s grandfather bought The Duke’s Head in Richmond, which they owned until 1963.
Grade II Listed Building
The Old Crown, which is a grade II listed building, was probably built in the 17th century and was included in oldest records of licensed pubs in Weybridge in 1729.
History experts believe it was used by the bargees working on the nearby Wey Navigation.
“It is a typical Surrey building, with weather boarding on the exterior giving it a very pleasant appearance.
Until 1832 this was known as The Crown public house, but thereafter it has been called The Old Crown.”
The Duke of Newcastle owned the inn in 1782. In 1788 the Duke of York acquired it when he purchased the whole of the Oatlands Park estate. The inn was sold at public auction together with stabling, a large room next to the river and 3 cottages with garden to James Dryer of London in 1822.
“The inn was later purchased by W. S. & C.D. Hodgson, who became the famous Hodgson’s Kingston Breweries Ltd. in 1886”. Courage purchased the building post World War 2. The Redknap family took over in 1959 and the pub is now a Free House.
There are a number of old pictures on display in The Old Crown, showing its history through the ages and demonstrating its importance to the community.
Mark & Yvonne are proud to maintain the standards and traditions of this popular pub where conversation and companionship are as important as the good food and drink served.